Tuesday, August 28, 2012

28 August 2012
While on vacation last week, I received a call from the office of Army Athletics.  Lacrosse Magazine runs a story called 'off the field' and they want to feature an Army player.  Garrett Thul was the selection Army Athletics made.  I had the opportunity to photograph him in action a few months ago at Michie Stadium against Navy.  Great player and a really nice guy.  I wish him nothing but the best as he prepares to graduate in the spring and begins his Army career.
This shoot was a tight one, the barracks are not that large and there are 3 cadets to a room.  I brought a lot of equipment and I am glad I did, becaused I used a bunch of it on this job.
2-Dynalite packs, one had a 24 x 24 softbox (camera left) and a shoot through umbrella (behind the bunks) aimed at the ceiling, the other had an umbrella high up, bouncing off the cieling just camera left.  I had one Canon 580EXII high camera right using the bounce card (1/2 power) and a second low camera right with a 1/4" grid spot aimed at the jerseys.
I shot this with a 14mm f.2.8, 125ISO at 1/125th of a second at f/14.  I triggered the lights with pocket wizards.  Not bad for shooting in a confined space, reminds me of shooting on the Aircraft Carrier.
-JM

No comments:

Post a Comment